Sunday 25 April 2010

Brown butter and sage pasta


The Goods*:

4 tbsp butter
1 handful fresh sage leaves
1 lemon's zest
parmesan cheese
1/2 lb fresh pasta

The sauce can be made while the water for the pasta is boiling, or a bit ahead of time. Place the butter in a small saucepan on medium-low heat. After the butter melts, semi-continuously stir it, to keep it from burning. Trim the stems from the sage leaves. Slice the sage leaves into long, thin strips. Finely mince the lemon zest. After a few minutes, the milk proteins will begin to brown. Once the butter has browned, but before it burns, turn off the heat. The brown butter should have a slightly nutty aroma. Add the sage and lemon zest, then set cover and set aside.

Once the pasta has been drained, toss with the brown butter mixture. Top with grated parmesan cheese and serve immediately.

*I am really getting into fresh pasta. The more I make it, the more I realize that its really not such an ordeal.

PS: The start of baseball season is not conducive to blogging about interesting things I've cooked.

1 comment:

  1. Hey James,
    Been a while since I checked your blog, but so far the recipes are good. My only complaint is that they make me hungry. Keep it up!

    -->Seth

    ReplyDelete