Wednesday 16 December 2009

Hot oil (chinese style)

The Goods:

1 cup sunflower, peanut, or any other high temperature oil
1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup dried chiles*
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp turmeric (for color)

I find myself visiting the local chinese restaurant by my office frequently, say, once a week or more. I've begun to notice a crippling pattern, which is not unique to this particular chinese restaurant. One asks for hot oil with one's combination plate. Sometimes one doesn't even get hot oil at all, but instead some strange chili paste. When fortune smiles upon me, and actual oil is provided, typically the quantity is on the order of a thimble-full. It is time to end our (royal we) dependence on foreign (he he) oil.

Place the oil in a wok** and set to medium high heat. Mince the chilies. A food processor or dedicated spice grinder would be lovely here. I did not want to chance it with my coffee grinder***. Once the oil has heated, turn off the heat, add the chilis, chili powder, and turmeric. Let the chilis steep in the wok for 10-15 minutes. Strain through a wire strainer, then a cloth. One will probably lose around 1/4 cup of oil (some remains in the pan, some sticks to the chilis, etc). Add the sesame oil to the infused oil, making a total of approximately one cup hot oil.


*I used these tiny thai chiles that have a nice, sharp heat. They should really be as hot as you like (read: Guatemalan insanity peppers). The hotter the oil, the less you'll probably need to use.

**Any thick-bottomed pot will do here, provided it did not come from Ikea. I kid, I kid, but if it did come from Ikea, chances are there is nothing thick about it.

***I probably don't have to say this, but for the love of god, and all that is holy, do not touch your eyes, nose, or genitalia whilst preparing this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment